After you have spent a considerable amount of time exploring the option of weight loss surgery, you will need to determine how to pay for the surgical procedure.
While insurance coverage for weight loss surgery is available to some, it often requires a lengthy and complicated approval process. The best chance for obtaining approval for insurance coverage comes from working together with your bariatric surgeon and other experts.
Here are some of the key steps you should take to obtain insurance coverage for weight loss surgery:
- Read and understand the "certificate of coverage" that your insurance company is required by law to give you. If you do not have one, consult your company's benefits administrator or ask your insurance company directly.
- You may be required to start with your primary care physician. In some cases, he or she is the only one you can ask for a referral to a qualified bariatric surgeon. Even if you are not required to get a referral, it is a good idea to have the support of your primary care physician.
- Before visiting the bariatric surgeon, organize your medical records, including your history of dieting efforts. They will be valuable documents to have at every stage of the approval process.
- Document every visit you make to a healthcare professional for obesity-related issues or visits to supervised weight loss programs. Document "other" weight loss attempts made through diet centers and fitness club memberships. Keep good records, including receipts.
- If your bariatric surgeon recommends weight loss surgery, he or she will prepare a letter to obtain pre-authorization from your insurance company. The goal of this letter is to establish the "medical necessity" of weight loss surgery and gain approval for the procedure.
Cash Payment/Payment Options
Our office has negotiated a reasonable cash package for our patients who will pay directly for their weight loss operations. Additionally we work closely with several lending institutions to provide favorable financing options. For a detailed statement regarding the direct pay package prices, please contact us.
For a Cash Price Breakdown, please Click Here.
Legal advice regarding coverage denials may be obtained from the following source:
Please call office for more details if you are interested.